Sunday, April 24, 2011

Train Conductor hats



At our house, trains rule the toy box. Ethan loves building extensive, complicated tracks with our wooden train set. We started with a simple wooden set from IKEA and it quickly grew to fill one of the extra large buckets in the toy shelf. Rueben also likes playing with trains, but I'm more likely to find him driving the trains into the barn set or onto the play parking garage. They each have their favorite engine which makes joint playtime more enjoyable and pleasant.




Since they spend so much time playing with their trains, I thought it would be fun if they each had a little train conductor hat that they could wear while playing. I had an old pair of jeans that I wanted to use for one of them and some seersucker material for the other. A quick google search led me to this tutorial. It was so simple to measure and cut out the pieces. I decided to have the straight pleats of the cap on the inside of the hat with the angled pleats on the outside. The first hat I made was the denim one and when I put it on Rueben, I felt the brim was a bit too long, so I shortened it by an inch for Ethan's hat. I love the way they turned out and they were so easy to make. I ended up making 3 more for Ethan's preschool class to play with at school. All aboard!!!
























































No comments:

Post a Comment